Skip to Main Content

Web Accessibility
Font Resize


419-259-9400 HCVP 419-246-3183

FAQs - Section 3 Complaints

Q. Who can file a complaint that alleges non-compliance with the requirements of Section 3?
Any Section 3 resident or Section 3 business (or authorized representative) seeking employment, training, or contracting opportunities generated by Section 3 covered assistance may file a complaint using form HUD 958.

Q. Where should Section 3 complaints be submitted?
Effective November 2007, Section 3 complaints must be filed at the appropriate FHEO Regional Office where the violation occurred. Please visit to obtain the address and telephone number for FHEO regional offices. 

Q. Where can I find form HUD 958?
Copies of the Section 3 complaint form (HUD 958), filing instructions and mailing addresses may be obtained at:

Q. Is there a time limit for filing a Section 3 complaint?
Yes. Section 3 complaints must be filed no later than 180 days from the date of the action or omission upon which the complaint is based.

Q. What happens during an investigation?
Once a timely complaint has been filed with the appropriate Regional Office, the Department will determine if the compliant has jurisdiction or is covered by Section 3 regulations. An investigator will be assigned the case and will notify the respondent about the complaint. The respondent has the option of resolving the complaint or contesting it. If the respondent contests or denies the allegations of noncompliance contained in the complaint, the investigator will proceed to gather facts or evidence from both parties. Thereafter, the investigator will prepare a letter of findings and either make a determination of noncompliance or dismiss the complaint. 

Q. What happens if HUD determines a recipient is in noncompliance?
Pursuant to 24 CFR 135.76, the Assistant Secretary will attempt, through informal methods, to obtain a voluntary and just resolution of the complaint. Where attempts to resolve the complaint informally fail, the Assistant Secretary will impose a resolution on the recipient and complainant. Any resolution imposed by the Assistant Secretary will be in accordance with requirements and procedures concerning the imposition of sanctions or resolutions as set forth in the regulations governing the HUD program under which the Section 3 covered assistance is provided.

Q. Can complainants appeal the initial decision made in a Section 3 complaint?
A complainant can submit a written appeal to the Assistant Secretary for Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity in Washington, DC within 15 days after the Regional Office makes its determination. Requests should be sent to:

  • U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development
    Office of Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity
    451 Seventh Street, SW
    Room 5100
    Washington, DC 20410

Q. Where else can I file complaints alleging denied employment and contracting opportunities?
If you are denied employment and/or contracting opportunities, you may have standing to bring a complaint at HUD under Title VI of the Civil Rights Act and/or Section 109 of the Housing and Community Development Act of 1974.

You may also be eligible to bring complaints under other federal laws. The U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) is responsible for enforcing federal laws that make it illegal to discriminate against a job applicant or an employee because of the person's race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, age (40 or older), disability or genetic information (medical history or predisposition to disease). For more information about your rights, please contact EEOC at:

The Department of Labor Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs (OFCCP) enforces, for the benefit of job seekers and wage earners, the contractual promise of affirmative action and equal employment opportunity required of those who do business with the Federal government. More information about the services they provide can be obtained at: